Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Base housing

I've been a little consumed lately with my base housing.  Base housing is given according to rank and family size.  We're given a housing allowance (according to rank) that is automatically deducted from Danny's paycheck since we live in base housing.  If we lived out in town, we'd get the housing allowance and use it for rent.  No matter how big or nice our base house is, we still have to pay the same amount in rent once a month.

When we added Charlotte to the family, we rated a third bedroom and could have moved to a new house.  We were even slated to move into a bigger place but at the last minute I decided against it.  It had a smaller back porch (which is all the back yard we have.) and older bathrooms and kitchen.  I cancelled our move at the last minute.  The housing lady let me do it, but made me promise that I'd never ask for a housing upgrade again.  I'm pretty sure that's not a written rule anywhere and that she was just trying to get some control over me after giving in to my request.  It was pretty dumb, though. 

At the time we weren't sure if we'd be here much longer, but now it's looking like we will be here for awhile.  I'm getting the itch to move again.  Also, housing just built some super nice houses and I want one!!!  I think they're for higher ranking individuals, but am not sure. 

I think I'm going to forget about my promise to never move again (I think her words were "you have to promise to never ever move again ever.") and will try to get back on the housing list.  It's worth a try, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it would be worth it to ask. I would not mention that you were asked to promise anything- i am not sure they can say that to you.

I think the new housing is for SSgt. and above but if you rate the square footage/# of rooms, I would want one!!!

The only worry I have about getting on the list to get a different house when/if Kyle picks up (because as an NCO we would rate either Adobe Flatts or the neighborhood that isn't Officer over by the golf course) is that there is no longer a difference between on or off base housing so they can offer you 801. I wouldn't feel safe in 801 at all and they are worn down.

Let me know how it goes!